Work type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Nutrition, NO-2
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
As the nutrition response in Sudan evolves, the need for strong linkages between the prevention and treatment arms of the program are becoming more evident in order to have an impact on the long-term nutrition status of children. UNICEF is best placed to lead the implementation and demonstrate the applicability of integrated approaches in nutrition programming as clearly shown in the conceptual framework for malnutrition (UNICEF 1990). The purpose of this position is to support quality scale up of the IYCF programme and support strong linkages in because treatment and prevention services for nutrition both for UNICEF and Ministry of Health. For greater effectiveness this position will be housed at the Federal Ministry of Health in Khartoum to ensure coherence in planning, implementation and monitoring of UNICEF support to government in line with national plans.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Support the FMOH and SMOH in integration of CMAM and IYCF activities in the targeted geographic areas.
- Support capacity development for IYCF unit at FMOH, UNICEF teams and partners with regard to C-IYCF.
- Support scale up the IYCF interventions.
- Development of M&E framework for IYCF and integrate it into the health and nutrition information systems.
- Together with FMOH, document and implement procedure and time-bound phased action plan to establish and maintain linkages between IYCF and CMAM.
- Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure achievement of objectives and/or takes corrective action when necessary to meet Program/project objectives.
- Assists government authorities in planning and organizing joint CMAM/IYCF training programs. Identifies training needs and objectives for the purpose of capacity building, program sustainability, as well as promotion and advocacy.
- Support the implementation of community Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) promotion and counselling.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor Programs and provide support to UNICEF and government state level, as well as arranges for the periodic Program reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Proposes and/or undertakes action on operational procedures affecting nutrition Program especially CMAM/IYCF project management and implementation. Provides technical assistance to government officials and other partners in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Program/project(s).
- Drafts program/project status reports required for management, Board, donors, budget review, program analysis, annual reports, etc.
- Map existing integrated CMAM/IYCF interventions and propose the most suitable approach to introduce the integrated CMAM/IYCF module and document lessons learnt in IYCF capacity building and establishment of community IYCF counselling.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree or higher in nutrition, public health, nutritional epidemiology, global/international health and nutrition, health/nutrition research, policy and/or management, health sciences, nutritional epidemiology, family health & nutrition, health & nutrition education, health & nutrition promotion and disease prevention, health emergency preparedness or other health related science field is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care at the international level and/or in a developing country is required. Experience in health/nutrition program/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset. Experience in behavioral change communication programme is required
- Training in quantitative and qualitative research is an added value.
- Emergency and development programing field work experience
- Experience in monitoring health services inequalities and in programming interventions that reduce these inequalities an asset.
- Fluency in both English & Arabic languages. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise ((II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Advertised: 27 Sep 2016 E. Africa Standard Time
Applications close: 10 Oct 2016 E. Africa Standard Time
تابع المزيد من الوظائف عبر: